Trader Joe's Cornbread Chili Pie

Yield: about 4 servings
Cost: less than $10

Ingredients

• Trader Joe's Turkey Chili with Beans - 2 cans
  • Trader Joes Cornbread Mix (prepare with egg, 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup milk)
  • Trader Joes Fancy Shredded Mexican Blend
  • Trader Joe's Sour Cream

Preperation

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Spread chili into a 9x13 casserole dish
  3. Top with prepared uncooked cornbread mix
  4. bake 25-30 minutes, until cornbread is fully cooked and beginning to brown at the edge
  5. Serve piping hot and garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream and your favorite chili toppings
John's Notes
  • Check the cheese, we got some Trader Joe's that was green inside (yuck!).
  • Sprinkle good cheese on after baking and return to warm oven to melt.
  • Adding an initial layer of prepared (cooked) cornmeal "mush" sweetened with honey and with a can of creamed corn would add a lot to this dish. Will try and report.
  • Chopped onions and salsa for toppings.
  • Sounds really good with scrambled eggs for a hearty breakfast.

StumbleUponDel.icio.usDigg It!
Tags: , ,
Categories: Cooking

6 Comments
Actions: E-mail | Permalink | Comment RSSRSS comment feed

Comments

September 7. 2009 16:11

Sherry

I just tried to make this recipe.  When I prepared one box of TJ's cornbread and spread it on top of the chili in the 9 X 13 pan, it did not cover the entire dish.  I prepared another box of cornbread and added that and baked it.  Although I baked for an additional 15 minutes and the top was quite brown, the cornbread did not cook through.  Did anyone else try this recipe and have a similar problem?  I think next time I will try to spread the cornbread thinner to cover and just bake one box.

Sherry

September 7. 2009 16:47

jstandlee

Sherry,
Didn't have any troubles like you describe.  The cornbread was a little thin (about the same thickness as the chili) and a bit watery, but it spread pretty well.  It surprised me that it took a half-cup of oil (I used peanut oil).
My best guess is that it was the double amount of cornbread that caused the undercooked results.  Our oven isn't too accurate either, I rely on a separate oven thermometer (setting the oven to 385 gets it to 350).

~~ John

jstandlee

September 21. 2009 17:26

Mike

Sherry

I also used two boxes of cornbread mix, baked it for 25 minutes or so until the top was brown, then covered it with foil and baked about another 20 minutes (or until the cornbread is done all the way through).

Mike

Mike

September 21. 2009 19:46

jstandlee

Good to know. Thanks, Mike.

~~ John

jstandlee

April 26. 2010 08:54

I LOVE cornbread!!!  Any recipe with cornbread in it is a hit with me.  Instead of using the boxed cornbread, use homemade.  Really not that hard to make from scratch.

June 4. 2010 21:00

This is a very interesting post, I was looking for this information. Just so you know I located your site when I was researching for blogs like mine, so please check out my site sometime and leave me a comment to let me know what you think.